Monday, March 12, 2007

The Plant Haven

The Plant Haven Website should have been up and running by now. If you haven't noticed- it's not. There are a lot of excuses for this, and most of them good ones. The Plant Haven is a retail website that Brad and I are starting that is not *officially* affiliated with North Carolina Farms. I am supposed to be the "webmaster" (yeah right) and maintain the site. That is why I have been trying to learn the basics of HTML. If you go to the page, you will see that we have started working on it, but that you aren't able to actually order any plants. In fact, all we've really done is picked a color scheme. Most people either love it or hate it. Some people say it looks like I'm selling chocolate, not plants. Either way, if you have an opinion on the site, leave a comment and let me know what you think. BUT- Let me just go ahead and say that I refuse to use green. Every other retail website has green as one of their colors. It drives me crazy. (In case you didn't realize we were selling plants, we'll make sure our website is overwhelmingly GREEN so you will associate it with growth and leaves.) Don't even try to change my mind on that one...

2 comments:

erica said...

Would it be possible to do a little bit of trim in green, like a green strand of ivy or something running down the side? I'd think you could get a picture you could use for that, and that might make it a little more obvious that it's a plant site. Since the font for Plant Haven isn't immediately readable (like a block font or a brighter color would be), you might want to change it and/or add a bit more plantiness to the site in general. I think it's a beautiful layout, but I'm also trying to think about first-time customers or people who just happen upon the site. Good luck with it! =)

Annie Beth said...

Erica, my sister said the same thing. We are definately going to have to do something with the storefront page to maybe display more plants or plant related stuff. It looks more like Victoria's Secret right now. I think we were trying so hard to get away from the image of the wholesale greenhouse, that it is almost the anti-greenhouse website.