Saturday, March 24, 2007

Turning

Wow. It's been a whole week since I've posted anything. Amazing how such a busy week can also be so uneventful. One of the highlights of the week was my Dr.s appointment. I will be going every week from now on since we are at the beginning of the end. There is never much exciting news- no ultrasounds, no blood work, nothin'. They always just weigh me (gained a pound), test for protein (none found), take my blood pressure (usually something low like 90/60), and listen for a heart beat (158- i think that's good). The big news was that Emily is still hanging out head up. At this point she should have decided to flip over and present head down. I was told that when I go in next week, if she is still head up, they will have to discuss trying to manually turn her or they would schedule me for a C-section. After much thought and a little research on the subject, I have decided that I am not going to let them try to turn her. The success rate doesn't seem impressive, with factors such as low fluid, carrying low in the pelvis, and just plain old not having enough room in there, contributing heavily to lack of success. To turn the baby, you have to be hooked to an IV, they give you muscle relaxing drugs, and then they shove the baby around, hoping it will flip. I think I am going to just tell them that we can plan a C-section, and if I go in and she has turned on her own, then we will cancel it. Turning a baby can also irritate your uterus and carries the small chance of starting early labor. So, for now we will just wait and see. We will have an update on this situation by Wednesday.

3 comments:

erica said...

Wow. I've never heard of manually trying to flip a baby. Hopefully she'll do it when she's ready; it sounds like you've made a good decision, given the risks involved. Here's praying you don't need a C-section, but if you do, that it goes well. =) Keep us updated on Emily's impending appearance in the world... it's very exciting!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad my babies had fun at the park! The pictures are beautiful! I really enjoy all the updates! Love you! Mama

Anonymous said...

Oops - put my comment under the wrong article - that's okay - you'll eventually see it, I guess! Mama