Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Proverbs 19:21

I was reading the Bible today and this bit of wisdom literature spoke particularly to me. So many of my friends (us included) are in the middle of major life changes. We are having babies, moving to new homes, or changing jobs. I would say most of us have some sort of plan. However, last night I mentioned to our friends, Brian and Melissa (shoutout!), that oftentimes the path that we *think* God wants us to take is really just a detour to get us where we are really supposed to be. Then I read this passage- which I will share with you in a variety of translations:

There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand. -KJV

Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.- NIV


Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.- ESV

Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand.- Amplified

You can make many plans,
but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.- NLT

There are many devices in a man's heart; But the counsel of Jehovah, that shall stand.- ASV

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

The Hines Family said...

Thanks for the shout-out! And I love that verse. How freeing that ultimatly it's all in God's hands. :-)