Friday, November 23, 2007

Des Colores









This is an appropriate title, given that I had an interesting experience today with one of the guys painting my house. I pulled up in the van and rolled down the window to ask him a question. Blank stares. I was trying to figure out if they were coming back to finish up the job tomorrow. The conversation started out with me chatting away in my rapid, yet drawling southern voice. After rattling on for a few sentences, I realized that he didn't have a clue what I was saying. I tried again. "Are...you...coming...back...tomorrow?" The light bulb flickered. "Will...you...finish...tomorrow?" "Tomorrow? Yes, yes. Tomorrow." "Good." I smiled. "The...house...looks...VERY...GOOD. You...work...FAST." Blink blink, pause, whir, click..."Thank you." I am not telling you this to ridicule any of our ESL citizens. I am telling you this because it comically explains why the guy inside wouldn't talk to me when I was trying to engage him in a conversation about the nuances of wall color. I even said a few things that should have elicited laughter, but was instead met by a few misplaced comments and serious looks. The poor guys had no idea what I was talking about. So, hopefully the colors will appear true on the screen, but my guess is they won't. At least you can get a general idea. Living area- green, bathrooms-tan, girls room-pink, boys room-yellow, master bedroom- some tannish green color, laundry room- rose brocade (aka purple). The library hasn't been painted yet since all the interior doors were stacked in there to keep them out of the way of the paint. When I left today, they were putting the doors up on the rooms that were finished, so maybe tomorrow we'll get the library done. And the front door. It is a red color, by the way. I think someone voted on that. I would also like to note that in the pictures, not all the rooms have their second coat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks beautiful!! It is so exciting to see everything coming together - I hope it all continues to progress smoothly so you can spend Christmas in your new home! Love, Mama

The Hines Family said...

The colors are beautiful! We were so excited to get to see it in person! Everything is beautiful and we're so happy that it's looking like you'll be "home for Christmas." :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your house is looking great! I am super jealous...