Friday, March 30, 2007

The Big Day

Well folks, it looks like the big day will be April 11th, at 12:30pm. They've scheduled me for a C-section (known simply as a "section" in the cool, medical type circles). When I went to the Dr. Wednesday, we did an ultrasound to confirm that Emily was still head up and to see exactly what type of position she was in, how much room was in there for her to turn, etc. It appears that her bottom is firmly planted in my pelvis and that it is very unlikely that she will be turning on her own. They once again discussed the option of EVC, the external manipulation of the baby to get them to turn, but I remained against the idea. I just feel the success rate is too low considering the risks and possible complications. The Dr I saw this week told me that he, personally, had done it successfully 50 times, and only one out of those ended in an emergency C-section because the cord got wrapped around the baby in some dangerous fashion. I'm sorry, but given the fact that you see pregnant women every day I am bothered that this has only worked for you 50 times- and one of those times ended in emergency procedures. Anyway. My point is, I said for them to go ahead and schedule me for a C-section. If Emily turns, then it gets cancelled. If Emily doesn't turn and I go into labor, I have to have an "emergency" C-section. She's coming out one way or another and it will probably be on or before April 11th. We'll keep you posted as events occur.

2 comments:

erica said...

Let us know how things progress! Excitement all around! =)

Brandee said...

I am so happy for you and your family. You take such wonderful pictures. Thanks for keeping me in the loop!