Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Reflux part 2

So, Emily had an appointment with the ENT today. After seeing our pediatrician (Paul Smolen) on Monday, we all decided an airway check would be the wisest thing to do under the circumstances. We went to the Charlotte Eye Ear Nose and Throat office on Fairview across from Southpark. They did a laryngoscopy and checked out Emily's throat. The tissue we saw was red from reflux and her vocal cords were also a little floppy. She was diagnosed with reflux and stridor (laryngomelatia). This is not particularly serious, but she will be taking Prevacid until she grows out of the condition. They want to see us back in 3 to 4 weeks. The only other possible problem is that you often find low muscle tone and delays in other areas in kids that have both the stridor and reflux. I think she'll be fine, but until she grows out of it, we will be giving her the medicine and keeping her upright after feeding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our sweet Emily will do well, I know. I'm glad you found out what the problem is - I read up on it and apparently it is fairly common and doesn't usually require any other treatment than what you will be doing. We keep you and Brad and all our babies in our prayers! :-) Love, Mama

erica said...

Aww, poor kid. I hope she's not in too much pain!

When I read your first sentence the first time, I thought it said that she had an appointment with the EMT, so I thought for a second that you had had to call an ambulance! I'm glad it was less serious than that, at least, and hopefully it'll clear up soon and she'll be onto more exciting and fun infant things than dealing with reflux.

I hope your recovery is going well, too! =)

Anonymous said...

We are also praying for the best with the new family. I noticed that you guys look a bit tired around the eyes....wonder why? :)
Seriously I'm glad everything is going better now. I'll be down to see you in a week or so...maybe sooner. Love you all....

Brandee said...

I'm so glad Emily is doing better. Thank goodness for your watchful eyes! I'll keep all of you in my prayers.