Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Scrubs

Hey all you moms out there! I am going to try a little experiment and see how it works.

Recently I was inspired to take inventory of my clothing situation. My friend Erica's blog about her holey jeans made me realize that ALL my jeans are holey, except for one pair. That pair is now becoming "thin" on the knees, and I have been confronted with the task of saving my jeans or trying to find another pair that fits. I don't have time to go try on new jeans. So.

In an effort to save the halfway decent clothes I have from being ruined by floor time, baby food, poop, and paint-that-is-supposed-to-wash-out-but-doesn't; I have invested in two sets of scrubs. That's right. $9.99 for a solid colored matching top and bottom set. The plan is to wear the scrubs around the house, and to only wear good clothes when I am going somewhere. Some days I might be able to wear the scrubs all day. On other days, I may only wear them for a few hours, but what a difference that few hours might make. I could avoid all sorts of nasty things happening to my clothes just within the first hour or two of getting up and making breakfast. Right now this seems like a good idea. Whether or not it works will hinge on two things. 1.) Do the scrubs fit without looking too goofy. 2) Will it be a pain to change in and out of clothes during the day. If this WORKS, however, I will be looking at longer lasting clothes. This will eventually save money and more importantly, the time it takes to do something like try on jeans. Not only will the clothes last longer overall, but in theory, I may not have to wash them as frequently either, saving on laundry. That is a big perk. If I only wear my good jeans an hour or two per day, think how infrequently they would have to go into the wash. Same with shirts, although I am funnier about shirt hygiene. Anyway, I will keep you all posted on this experiment. I hope it goes well. The scrubs should be arriving by FedEx any day now...

6 comments:

erica said...

Awesome idea! Let us know how it works... I've always thought it would be a good thing to have some scrubs, but I never managed to buy any. Good luck! =)

Brandee said...

Oooh! I likey. I think it's a great idea, especially on days without errands. Did you try going to the local nurses vendor? You may be able to find some at a store specializing in nursing apparel and forgo shipping/find some on sale. There's even such a store in Washington.

I'll pass your idea on to some of the new moms in my church; they may need it! Scrubs sound better than a "housecoat".

The Hines Family said...

What a fun idea! That might be a beneficial thing for me to do at work--I constantly have paint or markers or ketchup or something else from little hands all over me. Let us know how it works! :-)

The Bunnell Family said...

You are hilarious! We have several sets of scrubs in our house - and by "we" I mean Thom has several pairs, of which I frequently steal the pants. They are comfy! We promise not to send TLC's "What Not to Wear" to your house!

Anonymous said...

Crazy talk.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to know how it works with the scrubs. Will you model them for me at our playdate next week? Oh, I "tagged" you on my blog... so go visit and do the 5 things post...