Monday, July 28, 2008

Vera Bradley, Meet Your Match!


It is so late right now that I don't even feel like writing this post, but I have to share with you what happened to me this evening. Brad and I went out on a date to the Melting Pot to celebrate our pending adoption. It was a leisurely evening, and it took a couple hours to complete our meal. Unfortunately, we needed to make a Wal-Mart run after we finished, so that put us arriving at the Indian Trail Wal-Mart around 11:30pm. Those of you who know me also know that I wear a Vera Bradley pocket book that is technically called a "small backpack". However, it is in the handbag section and is actually a purse with two straps. I bought it last fall and have worn it every day since. On the way into Wal-Mart I was stopped by the guys at the door, who asked me to leave my bookbag up front. I said, "Oh, this isn't a bookbag, this is my purse." They said, "Sorry, company policy. If you don't want to leave it up front, you can go leave it in your car." I said, "Is it because of the time of day?" Thinking that maybe after 11 they had a spike in crime and needed to crack down on certain things. No, no, the guys insisted this was a policy that is always in effect. I had actually opened it up for them and showed them the contents to prove that it was a purse and not, in fact, a book bag. There were no guns or drugs inside, and really, there was not enough room to steal anything because most of the space is taken up by my travel Bible. Yes. My Bible. However, this must have looked quite suspicious to our second shift workers, because they told me I was fortunate to have been allowed in with this bag for the past year. In stead of leaving my bag in the car, I left completely. Brad actually called the manager when we got home and politely asked him about their policy. I was still interested because I also bring diaper bags into Wal-Mart and I wanted to know if there was a problem with the size of the bag, or if it was just the fact it had two straps. The manager told Brad that they did not have a policy against purses that have two straps and that the employees were in error. So, Wal-Mart missed out on a couple of purchases tonight. And now we have to go back out tomorrow. But we will go to Target instead.

5 comments:

The Bunnell Family said...

That is ridiculous! Kudos to you for arguing your point and leaving, and for following up with a phone call. And my 2 cents - I love Target!

The Hines Family said...

How annoying. It's probably because you look so hard-core...but still! :-)

Anonymous said...

Wal-mart makes me feel dirty.

Unknown said...

That is crap. I go there all the time with my kids backpack diaper bag. That is ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

Another thing to add to why I don't like the walmart in indian trail. Booo!!!

And yes, Target is the much preferred choice.