Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kindergarten

Well folks, it's been a long journey, but I have come 180 degrees from saying, "I did just fine in public school," to "I think I'm going to homeschool." That's right. Home. School. School at home. I just officially took Ben's name off the TK waiting list at Carmel Baptist Wee School this morning. My dear son will not be doing TK next year. He will be doing Kindergarten at home with me. I don't think I have time to go into WHY we are homeschooling. The list of reasons is very long. I just think it will be a good fit for our family. I know my children. I love my children. I can work with them to bring out their God given potential in a way that a teacher of 30 students can not. Besides, we can be done with book work by lunch and have the rest of the day to do other stuff. Think about getting the 1:00pm piano lesson time slot. All the other kids are still in school. You can go on a field trip to the zoo in the middle of the week. You can do real life stuff like cooking and gardening. And best of all, we can have a routine without being a slave to the bell. Some of my worst interactions with my children are when I am trying to get them out of bed, dressed, and fed before the school bell rings. With homeschool, if they take a couple minutes to decide between cereal and eggs, no big deal. Same thing goes for night time activities. We'd love to fully participate in children's programming on Wednesday nights at church, but it ends way after they need to be in bed to get a decent amount of sleep for school. This being said, Anna will probably still be at Porter Ridge in the EC program. If she qualifies for next year, we may as well take advantage of these services. But for Ben, we're going to start Kindergarten, and the rest of the children will be doing preschool material. If any of you are familiar with the world of homeschool, we are using Saxon Math K, Phono-Graphix reading, and Five In A Row unit studies. Plus, I printed out the NC State requirements for Kindergarten to make sure we cover all our bases. I am looking forward to it. This should be an adventure.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Sounds great - and exciting! You will be an excellent teacher! I love you! Mama

Mick and Rachel Donahue said...

School at your house will be way fun.

Unknown said...

10 thumbs up!!!! I am with you all the way! God knows that homeschooling is in my heart but unfortunately I have to work...yuck!

Frances said...

I am not surprised at all and agree that it sounds like a good fit for your family. Kudos to you!

revmomof3 said...

Good luck to you! It sounds like the right fit for your family!!!